Monday, February 20, 2006

Section 4.4 - log scales

I just finished section 4.4 which is about log scales. I have never ever in my whole life seen log scales and I've been very confused trying to understand the concept of how something isn't a linear scale but a log scale! But I did successfully finish the assigned homework problems for this section and I'm starting to understand what it actually means.. I think the part that's really hard for me is that I need to look at these scales in a whole different way. I'm used to looking at them with the thought that one inch always equals 5 units or whatever. Now, I have to think of it as one inch always equals 1 power (or exponent) of 10! And that means that if you translate 10^0 into 1 and 10^1 into 10 and 10^1.2 into whatever.. then it doesn't LOOK equal in a linear way... but it is in a log way! Ugh.. well I'm going to let this sit in my head for awhile and then look at it again.

I have to do 5.1 for Wednesday and I have my second exam on Friday. The exam is optional but ummm who wouldn't want to be able to get more credit!? I'm definitely taking both optional exams.. and since for some weird reason I'm doing better on my exams than my quizzes, it'll help a lot too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home